Trenton School of Dance requires dancers to come to dance class dressed in proper attire. (1) Their hair should be neat (2) They should wear a leotard and tights and (3) they should have proper shoes depending on which style of dance they are in. So why is this so important? It goes beyond just the physicality of wearing a specific type of clothing and shoes…
(1) Tight-fitted clothing allows the dance teacher to see the dancer’s alignment & posture. With proper dance attire, dance teachers are able to properly instruct the dancer and correct their body placement; which ultimately benefits the dancer’s progress and safety.
(2) It eliminates potential bullying if one student is wearing “less trendy” attire than others. The class is now a “level playing field” with all of the dancers wearing similar dance attire; which eliminates any potential bullying.
(3) It allows the student to “feel the part” and come to class feeling tidy and professional! Proper dance attire also helps the dancer to look and feel their best, which will help them to dance their best! :) The dress code teaches the dancer discipline.
4) It makes the dancer feel that dance class is more “structured.” Since there is a dress code in dance, the student will better associate dance class as being a structured, disciplined environment; as opposed to a another environment that is more playful and has no dress code.
5) Dance Garments are made with lightweight, breathable, stretchy fabrics which provide dancers with comfort and freedom of movement. Proper dance attire will allow the dancer to dance at their full potential; and when they move their bodies in particular directions, the fabric of the dance leotard will allow them to move effortlessly.